Quizzing in Guided Reading

This topic contains 4 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  Margaret Allen 2 years ago.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Margaret Allen

Have you tried reading a book with a group and as part of the session complete the quiz as a group too? This offers a great way of engaging students, allows for high order discussion opportunities to develop as well as modelling good practice for completing a quiz. This can never be under estimated as something that students of all ages need to revisit. Having shared that with a number of schools recently and receiving positive responses I decided it was worth a post! Let me know what you think!!

Charlotte Lowry
    Participant

Quizzing after finishing a guided reading book is something I’m trying to encourage teachers to do as it provides the opportunity to quiz for those children who won’t do it off their own back. Do you recommend actually talking through the quiz together or that the children complete it completely independently?

Margaret Allen

Hi Charlotte,

I think the use of the quizzes to assess children’s comprehension is of course paramount and for any result to be valid it should obviously be completed by the child independently. However I see real value, as you suggest, in Guided Reading, using the quiz as an opportunity to further extend the children’s understanding and comprehension. Really extending their thinking by discussing and comparing the answers. “Why do you think this one is the right answer?” Do the whole “convince a friend, convince an enemy” approach. Of course the children could complete the quiz on their own, but I think a Guided Reading session where the teacher/adult is deepening the children’s language acquisition/understanding has some real potential. The primary schools, in particular, where I have been suggesting this approach for guided reading, have loved this idea. Also a great way of modelling for the chidlren how a quiz should be approached and what “thinking” should go on when completing one.

Of course, this does have implications for your data (!), so you should deactivate this quiz in the system when complete. 🙂

A long answer, hope it helps. Be interested to hear if anybody else has anything to add?

Hilary Kemp
    Participant

An English teacher here recently set homework for her Year 9s which involved taking a quiz on the book they had all read in class. She was able to use the report generated to assess individual comprehension – and of course it was obvious which students had NOT completed their homework by the deadline.

Margaret Allen

This is a brilliant idea… Not only does it encourage the students to really take part in the programme, but it also offers all students an additional layer of engagement in the text they are studying… This is particularly powerful at secondary where students are more independent. Love it!!

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

User Guide: Please download the user guide for instructions on how to join a group and participate in these discussion forums.