Renaissance Privacy Hub
Last updated: November 3, 2021
Note to Parents of Students who use Renaissance’s Products
Our mission is to accelerate learning for all children and adults of all ability levels and ethnic and social backgrounds worldwide. To achieve this mission, Renaissance Learning, UK Ltd. (“Renaissance”) contracts with multi academy trusts and educational institutions that utilize our products in the classroom. If your child’s school uses products such as Renaissance Accelerated Reader®, Renaissance Star 360®, myON®, myIGDIs®, Schoolzilla®, or Freckle®, please see our UK | EU Products Privacy Notice for more information regarding our privacy and security practices around student and educational data. We deeply understand the trust our educational partners are placing upon us as a data steward and education technology provider. We are committed to the privacy and security of our customer data. Your child has rights to their personal data! We celebrate personal data rights and we work directly with our educational partners to fulfill data rights related questions and queries about our products.
Under data protection legislation, your school is known as what is called the “Data Controller.” The Data Controller is directly responsible for, and the party best situated to, respond to student personal data rights inquiries. As such, please direct any data privacy related query about our products to your school’s Data Protection Officer “DPO.” If your school needs support from Renaissance in responding to your request, we will provide that support to your school. And don’t worry. If you do reach out to Renaissance directly for data rights help in connection with one of our products, we’ll be glad to forward your request directly to your school’s DPO and provide them with any support they need in responding to you.
N.B. A privacy notice relating to the Department for Education in England’s work on ‘Understanding progress in the 2020/21 and 2021/22 Academic Years – how we look after personal data’ can be found here.
Products: Privacy Notices
For information on Renaissance practices with respect to our software products and the privacy of all student data, refer to the documents below:
Historic Privacy Notices:
Website Privacy Notice
Effective date: July 31, 2020
Renaissance Learning, UK Ltd. (“Renaissance”) considers the privacy and security of visitors to our website to be of paramount importance. This Privacy Notice explains how we collect, share, and use personal information about you, and how you can exercise your privacy rights. It applies to all individuals who access our website at www.renlearn.co.uk or any related Renaissance websites where this Privacy Notice appears (collectively, the “Website”). For users of Renaissance’s products and services, please visit the UK|EU Privacy Notice. If you have questions about the personal data we collect, please use the contact information provided at the end of these notices.
What does Renaissance do?
Renaissance is a leading provider of learning solutions. We create assessment and practice solutions that put learning analytics to work for educators, saving hours of prep time while making truly personalized learning possible. Schools use our solutions to analyze students’ abilities and guide high-quality instruction. We help teachers teach better, students learn better, and school administrators lead better—all to improve academic outcomes. For more information about what we do, please see the “About Us” section of this Website.
What personal information does Renaissance collect when you visit our Website and why?
When you access or use the Website, we may collect two types of information: (1) information that you provide voluntarily; (2) information we collect from third-party sources; and (3) information that we collect automatically.
Information that you provide voluntarily
We collect personal information that you provide voluntarily through our Website, for example when completing online forms, registering for purchase of items in our store, or to contact us or register for events that Renaissance may be organising. The information we collect about you may include some or all of the following:
- Name and job title;
- Company or organisation;
- Contact information, including email address and telephone number(s);
- Demographic information such as postcode, preferences and interests;
- Other information relevant to customer surveys;
- Information pertinent to fulfilling your requests of us, such as providing shipping information for our shop (we do not collect credit card or other financial-related information); and
- Any other personal information that you voluntarily choose to provide to us.
- If we ask you to provide any other personal information not described above, the personal information that you are asked to provide, and the reasons why you are asked to provide it, will be made clear to you at the point that you are asked to provide your personal information.
Information that we obtain from third party sources
From time to time, we may receive personal information about you from third party sources (including from companies that provide marketing lead information), but only where we have checked that these third parties either have your consent or are otherwise legally permitted or required to disclose your personal information to us.
The types of information we collect from third parties include your name and contact information and we use the information we receive from these third parties to provide you with information regarding about our products and services, our industry insights and other direct marketing purposes.
Information that we collect automatically
When you visit our Website, we may collect certain personal information automatically from your device.
Specifically, the information we collect automatically may include information like your IP address, device type, unique device identification number, browser-type, broad geographic location (e.g. country or city-level location) and other technical information. We may also collect information about how your device has interacted with our Website, including the pages accessed and links clicked.
Collecting this information enables us to better understand the visitors who come to our Website, where they come from, and what content on our Website is of interest to them. We use this information for our internal analytics purposes and to improve the quality and relevance of our Website to our visitors.
Some of this information may be collected using cookies and similar tracking technology, as explained further in sections below including related to Cookie and Web Beacons.
We use information collected via the Website in the following ways:
- Contact you when necessary;
- Respond to you regarding information you have requested;
- Communicate with you regarding Renaissance or the Website;
- Provide you with customized content and advertising for various products or services;
- Administer the Website, monitor its usage, and diagnose problems with it;
- Remember you when you return to the Website, so that you don’t have to re-submit information and preferences;
- Contact you with information and promotional materials and offers from us as well as from our affiliates, partners and other third parties, if you have agreed to receive such communications;
- Conduct research to improve our content and services; and
- To protect the security or integrity of the Website and our business.
Renaissance may sell, transfer, or otherwise share some or all of its assets, including your personal information, in connection with a merger, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets or in the event of bankruptcy.
Sharing your personal information
Renaissance does not rent or sell personal information and non-personal information—whether provided to us by you or collected automatically—to other companies, however we do share personal information with the following categories of recipients:
- Affiliated Companies. We may share personal information with companies that are affiliated with us (for example companies that control, are controlled by, or are under common control with us). We may also share information that is collected between websites that we, or our affiliates, control.
- Service Providers. We may share your personal information with companies that perform services for us, such as fulfilling orders, delivering packages, sending postal mail and e-mails, analyzing customer data, providing marketing assistance, investigating fraudulent activity, conducting customer surveys, and providing customer service.
- Behavioral Advertisers. We may permit third party behavioral advertisers to use technology to collect information about your use of our Website so that they can provide advertising about products and services tailored to your interest. That advertising may appear either on our Website, or on other websites.
- Potential Buyers. We may share your personal information if we sell all, or part, of our business, sell all, or part, of our business assets, or are otherwise involved in a merger or business acquisition.
- Any other parties to comply with a legal obligation; to protect the legal rights of (or otherwise participate in a legal process pertaining to) our company, our employees, our agents, our clients, and our affiliates, to protect the safety and security of our visitors, or to protect against fraud; or with your consent.
We will retain personal data we collect from you where we have an ongoing legitimate business need to do so (for example, to respond to you regarding information you have requested or to comply with applicable legal requirements).
When we have no ongoing legitimate business need to process your personal information, we will either delete or anonymise it or, if this is not possible (for example, because your personal information has been stored in backup archives), we will securely store your personal information and isolate it from any further processing until deletion is possible.
If you have questions about, or need further information concerning, our data retention periods, please send an email to email@example.com.
Data Protection Rights
You have the following data protection rights:
- If you wish to access, correct, update or request deletion of your personal information, you can do so at any time by sending an email to firstname.lastname@example.org;
- You can object to the processing of your personal information, ask us to restrict processing of your personal information or request portability of your personal information. You can exercise these rights by contacting us by email at email@example.com;
- You have the right to opt-out of marketing communications we send you at any time. You can exercise this right by clicking on the “unsubscribe” or “opt-out” link in the marketing e-mails we send you. To opt-out of other forms of marketing (such as postal marketing or telemarketing), then please email firstname.lastname@example.org and put “UNSUBSCRIBE” in the subject line;
- Similarly, if we have collected and process your personal information with your consent, then you can withdraw your consent at any time. Withdrawing your consent will not affect the lawfulness of any processing we conducted prior to your withdrawal, nor will it affect processing of your personal information conducted in reliance on lawful processing grounds other than consent; and
- You have the right to complain to a data protection authority about our collection and use of your personal information. For more information, please contact your local data protection authority. (Contact details for data protection authorities in the European Economic Area, Switzerland and certain non-European countries (including the US and Canada) are available here.)
We respond to all requests received from individuals wishing to exercise their data protection rights in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Do Not Track
Certain browsers have settings that allow you to turn on a “Do Not Track” (“DNT”) feature. The Website supports DNT by stopping the collection of information that allows us to tailor content based on your recent visits to the Website and third parties (e.g., Partner) websites. When you enable DNT on your browser, we stop the collection of unique browser cookies that links your browser to visits to the Website and across other websites. If you enable DNT on your browser, however, certain features of the Website may not function properly.
We may from time to time use third-party service providers to track and analyse usage of the Website. The third-party service providers access and use cookie and log information in combination with personal data, such as name, IP address and email addresses, to assist in tracking the Website. These third-party service providers are granted access to the information via the Website.
Subject to the usage of the third-party service providers discussed above, we do not intentionally or knowingly allow other parties to collect personal data about your online activities over time and across different websites, when you visit the Website, or use any of the services offered on the Website. We do not, however, have control over third parties’ activities, including if a third party accesses information based on your visit to the Website.
We also use Google Analytics “web beacons,” “pixel tags,” “clear GIFs” or similar means (individually or collectively “Web Beacons”) on our Website. A Web Beacon is an electronic image, often a single pixel, embedded on web pages. Web Beacons are ordinarily not visible to users. Web Beacons allow us to count the number of users who have visited certain pages of the Website, to deliver branded services, and to generate statistics about how our Website is used. We utilize Web Beacons through Google Analytics and analyse things such as page views, referral source, and duration of you visit.
Renaissance maintains email lists to keep interested parties informed about our company, events, products, support, and more. By providing your email address voluntarily, you consent to be included on those lists. However, we understand that may not always be the case, and so you can be removed from a Renaissance email and/or mailing list by emailing email@example.com with REMOVE ME in the subject line.
We use appropriate technical and organizational measures to protect the personal information what we collect and process about you. The measures we use are designed to provide a level of security appropriate to the risk of processing your personal information.
Your personal information may be transferred to, and processed in, countries other than the country in which you live. These countries may have data protection laws that are different to the laws of your country. Specifically, while our Website servers are located in the United States, and our affiliated companies and third-party service providers and partners operate around the work. This means that when we collect your personal information we may process it in any of these countries.
However, we have taken appropriate safeguards to require that your personal information will remain protected in accordance with this Privacy Notice.
If we transmit personal information across national boundaries, we make reasonable efforts do so in compliance with any national laws that govern the cross-border transfer of information. For example, we have taken several steps to facilitate the transfer of personal information that we receive about residents of the European Union, the United Kingdom and Switzerland. These include self-certifying under the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework and entering into appropriate standard contractual clauses.
Our standard contractual clauses can be provided to EU/EEA residents on request. We have implemented similarly appropriate safeguards with our third-party service providers and partners and further details can be provided upon request.
EU – U.S. Privacy Shield
Renaissance’s parent company, Renaissance Learning, Inc. (“Renaissance US”), complies with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Framework (the “Framework”) as set forth by the U.S. Department of Commerce regarding the collection, use and retention of personal information transferred from the European Union and the United Kingdom to the United States in reliance on Privacy Shield. Renaissance US has certified to the Department of Commerce that it adheres to the Privacy Shield Principles with respect to such information. If there is any conflict between the policies in this Privacy Notice and the Privacy Shield Principles, the Privacy Shield Principles shall govern. To learn more about the Privacy Shield program and to view Renaissance US’ certification, please visit https://www.privacyshield.gov.
Renaissance US is responsible for the processing of personal information it receives, under the Framework. For personal information transferred from the EU and the United Kingdom, if Renaissance US transfers your personal information to a third party, Renaissance US will ensure that the third party is contractually obligated to process your information only for limited, specific purposes consistent with this Notice. Renaissance US will also ensure that the third party will apply the same level of protection to that data as the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield Principles and will notify Renaissance US if it makes a determination that it can no longer meet this obligation. Renaissance US also complies with the Privacy Shield Principles for the onward transfer liability provisions.
With respect to personal information received or transferred pursuant to the Framework, Renaissance US is subject to the regulatory enforcement powers of the U.S. Federal Trade Commission. In certain situations, Renaissance US may be required to disclose personal information in response to lawful requests by public authorities, including to meet national security or law enforcement requirements.
In compliance with the EU-U.S. Privacy Shield, Renaissance strives to resolve all complaints about privacy and the collection or use of customer information. If you have questions about our parent company’s participation in the Privacy Shield program or have a complaint, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have any unresolved privacy or data use concern that we have not addressed satisfactorily, please contact our U.S.-based third party dispute resolution provider, JAMS, at https://www.jamsadr.com/eu-us-privacy-shield or the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office at https://ico.org.uk/for-the-public.
Under certain conditions, more fully described on the Privacy Shield website at https://www.privacyshield.gov/article?id=How-to-Submit-a-Complaint, you may invoke binding arbitration when other dispute resolution procedures have been exhausted.
Legal basis for processing personal information
Our legal basis for collecting and using the personal information described above will depend on the personal information concerned and the specific context in which we collect it.
However, we will normally collect personal information from you only where we have your consent to do so, where we need the personal information to perform a contract with you (for example, when providing our Services), or where the processing is in our legitimate interests and not overridden by your data protection interests or fundamental rights and freedoms. In some cases, we may also have a legal obligation to process personal information about you, or may need to process personal information in order to exercise, establish or defend legal claims.
If we ask you to provide personal information to comply with a legal requirement or to perform a contract with you, we will make this clear at the relevant time and advise you whether the provision of your personal information is mandatory or not (as well as the possible consequences, if any, if you do not provide your personal information).
If you have questions about or need further information concerning the legal basis on which we collect and use your personal information (including any legitimate interests relied upon), please send an email to email@example.com.
Links to Other Websites and Services
Changes to Website and Privacy Notice
We constantly update the features of the Website to better serve you and all our customers, so this Privacy Notice may also be revised from time to time. Renaissance may modify this Privacy Notice without advance notice and any modifications are effective when they are posted here. By using the Website, you indicate your understanding and acceptance of the terms of the policy posted at the time of your use. If you have any questions, please contact us at your convenience.
If you have any questions about this Privacy Notice, the practices of the Website, or dealings with the Website or with Renaissance, please send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org. If you are a visitor to this Website, your data controller is Renaissance Learning UK Ltd., registered in the United Kingdom with the Information Commissioner’s Office with the registration number: Z8942562
Standard Contractual Clauses
Renaissance is aware of the recent ruling by the European Court of Justice which invalidates the Privacy Shield. Please review our Standard Contractual Clauses to safeguard data transfers outside of the UK and EU. Please complete the relevant information for your institution and return a signed copy to: email@example.com.
Renaissance’s Commitment to Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in Education
Renaissance’s mission is to accelerate learning for all children and adults of all ability levels and ethnic and social backgrounds, worldwide. To that end, Renaissance is committed to producing content that is diverse, inclusive, and equitable for all learners.