Reading attainment that’s never been better at St Botolphs CE Academy
St Botolphs CE Academy, Wakefield
We spoke to English Lead Emma Fisher, who explained how her school has been using Renaissance solutions, including Accelerated Reader and Star Reading, to nurture a love of reading for all children.
We currently use Accelerated Reader and Star Reader. Although to begin with, we only rolled out the programme for our older children (years 4-6), we now have increased our licence subscription and now have all children from year 1 to year 6 enrolled on the programme.
The way the programme is structured enables all children to achieve, even if they cannot decode and read a book for themselves, so we have included all children and see some fantastic reading results.
“We have seen that the engagement with reading across the entire school has had a boost”
It was my ambition to get the children in our school, who come from an area of quite high deprivation, to foster a love of reading and to read for pleasure. Before signing up for the programme, 1 in 4 children did not read for pleasure and would actually shy away from books. From the moment the programme began, I could see an immediate increase in this number as children were using the programme’s competition element to read various books. We have seen that the engagement with reading across the entire school has had a boost and that children are picking books for the enjoyment of reading and not just because they have been ‘told to read a book.’
“Our reading attainment and progress has never been this good”
As an English lead and a teacher for 16 years in the same school, our reading attainment and progress has never been this good, and I put it down to the use of Accelerated Reader.
From a teacher point of view, the reports that you can bring up for each child, group, set or class are invaluable and enable us to hone in on the children who need that intervention and those who need further support. Progress is tracked at the touch of a button, which is a handy tool that evaluates children’s progress in reading a straightforward task.
“When a child is excited and eager to get a new book from the library, it shows that the ambition I had at the start of this journey has been achieved”
Over the last three years, our reading scores at the end of Ks1 and Ks2 have improved, but more than that, the confidence and fluency in our children’s reading have advanced. Although this cannot be measured, this is something that we see daily. When a child is excited and eager to get a new book from the library, it shows that the ambition I had at the start of this journey has been achieved, and children have fostered that essential love of reading.
The number’s don’t lie!
- 3,885 Accelerated Reader quizzes carried out over the last twelve months – an increase of 57%*
- 822 Star Reading assessments carried out over the last twelve months – an increase of07%*
- Average ZPD level over the last twelve months – an average of 08*
- Average Accelerated Reader Quiz Percentage Correct of 75% over the last twelve months.*
- Average Accelerated Reader Reading Level over the last twelve months – an average increase of 97%*
- Average Star Reading Scaled Score over the last twelve months – an average of 43*
- The average time per Star Reading test over the last twelve months is 15 Minutes 49 Seconds*
*2020 product usage stats will be distorted due to school closures in March 2020, resulting in infrequent quizzing/testing
External stats (DfE):
- St Botolphs CE Academy achieved an ‘Average’ Reading Progress Score in 2019, based on the school’s unique confidence intervals; this means the school performed the same as or better than 83% of other primary schools with the same confidence intervals.
- St Botolphs CE Academy performs better than 79% of other primary schools in the local authority of Wakefield based on Reading Progress Score.
- St Botolphs CE Academy performs better than 70% of other primary schools in England with similar pupil population figures and whose pupils entered KS1 with similar prior attainment.
To find out how you can boost your school’s reading and literacy attainment with Accelerated Reader and Star Reading, click here
|Programme||Accelerated Reader, Star Reading|
|School Type||Academy, Primary|
|Talking Points||Assessment, Celebration, Data, Data Review, Intervention, Library Use, Motivation, Progress Monitoring, Reading Culture, Reading for Pleasure, Staff Engagement, Student Engagement, Target Setting|